OPAL unknown location, undated
Photo collection:Peter Schliefke (copyright unknown)
HMS Opal was an Emerald class corvette of the Royal Navy, laid down as HMS Magicienne and built by William Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland and launched on 9 March 1875.
She was completed with an armament of 14 64-pounder MLR guns (2 on bow and stern chasers, mounted on centre-line swivelling slides, and 12 on broadside slide mountings) and initially commenced service on the Pacific Station, and while on passage in 1876 hit a rock in the Strait of Magellan. She was damaged and repairs were undertaken at Esquimalt.She returned to England in 1880 for refit, in which her broadside armament was reduced by 2 guns and she was re-rigged as a barque. She sailed for service on the Cape of Good Hope and West Africa Station in 1883, before commencing service on the Australia Station in 1885.She returned to England in 1890 and was placed into reserve. She was sold for breaking up at Sheerness in August 1892.