IRIS unknown location, undated
Photo collection:Peter Schliefke (Photo credit:P.A. Vicary)
Built at Pembroke Dockyard
Laid down:10 November 1875.Launched:12 April 1877.Completed:April 1879
Fate:Sold for scrapping 1905
Displacement: 3,730 tons.Length: 300 ft (91 m) between perpendiculars.
333 ft (101 m) length overall
Beam: 46 ft (14.0 m)Draught: 22 ft (6.7 m)
Installed power: Trials: 7,330 indicated horsepower (9.8 megawatts)
In service: 6,000 indicated horsepower (8 megawatts)
Propulsion:Maudslay horizontal direct-acting compound steam engine,
eight oval and four cylindrical boilers, 780 tons coal
Speed:Trials:7.7 knots (32.8 km/h)maximum
In service:17 knots (31.5 km/h) maximum
Armament:As completed: 10 x 64-pounder (29-kg) guns
Shortly after completion: 2 x 64-pounder (29-kg) guns, 4 x 6-inch (152-mm) breech-loading
rifled guns, 4 x 5-inch (127-mm) breech-loading rifled guns
1887: 13 x 5-inch (127 mm) breech-loading rifled guns, 4 x 3-pounder (1.4-kg) quick-firing guns, 4 x torpedo carriages
HMS Iris was an Iris Class second-class cruiser of the Royal Navy. The Iris class ships were the first all-steel ships to serve with the Royal Navy and were employed as armed dispatch vessels. She had a double bottom and her Maudslay machinery produced 7,300 hp (5,400 kW), slightly less than her stablemate HMS Mercury, but her 17.35 knots (32.13 km/h) still made her one of the fastest ships of her day. Mercury was identical less an upright stem and a different arrangement of head sail.
She was laid down at the Pembroke Dockyard on 10 November 1875, launched on 12 April 1877 and completed on 18 April 1879. She was commissioned on 27 April 1880 and her first commander was Captain Edward Seymour, with Lieutenant Robert Archer as First Lieutenant. She served in the Mediterranean from 1879 to 1887, then in the Portsmouth Reserve from 1887 to 1903. She was a tender to HMS St. Vincent in 1903 and 1904 and was sold off in 1905.