JAROSLAW DABROWSKI – 1950 – IMO 5170446

 

JAROSLAW DABROWSKI ,Kiel Canal,undated.

 

Comp. 12/1950,3219grt,by Blyth DD & SB Co,Cowpen Quay (350) for Polish Ocean Lines,Gdynia,POL

BU Bruges 24/1/1976 [Brugse Scheepssloperij]

Rick Cox Collection,Copyright:unknown

Cheers,Rick

November 20th, 2011  in Steamers Over 4000 TDW - J 1 Comment »

ISLAND MARINER – 1958 – IMO 5164837

 

ISLAND MARINER ,unlocated,undated.

 

Comp. 10/1958,10018grt,by Van der Giessen, Krimpen a/d Ijssel (789) for Liberian Maritime Corp,Monrovia,LBR

1967 Primo Tpt Corp,Monrovia,LBR

1971 Mainbrace Sg Co,Monrovia,LBR

1973 AZOV SEA,Yick Fung Sg & Enterprises Co Ltd,Mogadishu ,SOM

1976 ROC Maritime Ltd,Panama City,PAN

BU Huangpu 31/1/1986

Rick Cox Collection,Copyright:unknown

Cheers,Rick

EMERALD WINGS – 1911 – IMO 0000000

Rick Cox Collection – IRON BARON.

Year: 1911 – Name: EMERALD WINGS – Type: Cargo ship – Launch Date: 6.9.11 – Flag: GBR – Date of completion: 9.11 – GRT: 3139 – Yard No: 629 – LPP: 101.0 – Country of build: GBR – Beam: 14.9 – Builder: Russell of Port Glasgow – Number of screws/Mchy/ Speed(kn): 1T-9.

Subsequent History: 18 KILBAHA – 20 IRON BARON – 52 VITTORIO Z.

xx

Source: Miramar Ship Index by arrangement.

Disposal Data: collision (PRINS MAURITS) off Texel 11.10.55 [Gdynia-Istanbul, cement]

November 20th, 2011  in Steamers Below 4000 TDW - E No Comments »

SHAHRISTAN – 1965 – IMO 6420953

 

IRENES IDEAL ,ex SHAHRISTAN,unlocated,undated.

 

Comp. 5/1/1965,9280grt,by Readhead,South Shields (614) for Strick Line,GBR

1975 STRATHAPPIN,P.& O.,GBR

1979 IRENES IDEAL,

1982 IDEAL,

BU Chittagong 19/9/1985

Rick Cox Collection,Copyright:unknown

Cheers,Rick

Ships of the American-Hawaiian Steamship Co. – Seattle

The American-Hawaiian Steamship Company was founded in 1899 to carry cargos of sugar from Hawaii to the United States and manufactured goods on return trips. Brothers-in-law George Dearborn and Lewis Henry Lapham were the key players in founding the company.

At the time of the company’s founding, its steamships sailed around South America via the Straits of Magellan to reach East Coast ports. By 1907 the company began using the Tehuantepec Route. Shipments on the Tehuantepec Route would arrive at Mexican ports—Salina Cruz, Oaxaca, for eastbound cargo, and Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz for westbound cargo—and would traverse the Isthmus of Tehuantepec on the Tehuantepec National Railway. When American political troubles with Mexico closed that route, American-Hawaiian returned to the Straits of Magellan route.

When the Panama Canal opened for traffic in August 1914, American-Hawaiian began routing all of its ships via this route. The temporary closure of the canal because of a series of landslides forced the company to return to the Straits of Magellan route for the third time in its history.

In World War I, twelve of the company’s ships were commissioned into the United States Navy; a further five were sunk by submarines or mines during the conflict.

Roger Dearborn Lapham, a future mayor of San Francisco, California, served as company president in the mid 1920s.

In World War II, the company operated many Liberty ships and Victory ships under the War Shipping Administration, including the Daniel Boone, the John Milledge, the John Drake Sloat, the Benjamin Goodhue and the Chanute Victory.

From the Private collection of Simon Bang – bought image with full copyright.

From left to right: The OHIOAN (1914), the OREGONIAN (1901) and the VIRGINIAN (1903)

OHIOAN – 1914 – IMO 0000000

Year: 1914 – Name: OHIOAN – Type: Cargo ship (ref) – Launch Date: 18.4.14 – Flag: USA – Date of completion: 6.14 – GRT: 6547 – Yard No: 133 – LPP: 124.3 – Country of build: USA – Beam: 16.4 – Builder: Maryland Steel Co – Location of yard: Sparrows Point – Number of screws/Mchy/Speed(kn): 1Q-12.5 – Registered owner / Home port: American-Hawaiian SS Co Inc / USA New York

Subsequent history:

SS Ohioan was a cargo ship built in 1914 for the American-Hawaiian Steamship Company. During World War I, she was taken over by the United States Navy and commissioned as USS Ohioan (ID-3280).

Ohioan was built by the Maryland Steel Company as one of eight sister ships ordered by the American-Hawaiian Steamship Company for inter-coastal service cargo via the Panama Canal. When the canal was temporarily closed by landslides in late 1915, Ohioan sailed via the Straits of Magellan until the canal reopened in mid 1916. During World War I, USS Ohioan carried cargo, animals, and a limited number of passengers to France, and returned over 8,000 American troops after the Armistice, including the highly decorated American soldier Alvin York. After Ohioan’s naval service ended in 1919, she was returned to her original owners.

Ohioan’s post-war career was relatively uneventful until 8 October 1936, when she ran aground near Seal Rock at the Golden Gate, the entrance to San Francisco Bay. Attempts to free the ship were unsuccessful and, because of the close proximity of the wreck to San Francisco, the grounded Ohioan drew large crowds to watch salvage operations. Angelo J. Rossi, the mayor of San Francisco, toured the wreck on 19 October. Ohioan’s hulk caught fire in March 1937, and the wreck broke into two pieces in a storm in December. As late as 1939, some of Ohioan’s rusty steel beams were still visible on the rocks.

Disposal Data: wrecked near Point Lobos, San Francisco 7.10.36 [Boston-San Francisco, general]

OREGONIAN – 1901 – IMO 0000000

Year: 1901 – Name: OREGONIAN – Type: Cargo ship – Launch Date: 4.3.01 – Flag: USA – Date of completion: 5.01 – GRT: 5598 – Yard No: 310 – LPP: 123.7 – Country of build: USA – Beam: 15.6 – Builder: Delaware River – Location of yard: Chester, Pa – Number of screws/Mchy/Speed(kn): 1T-10.5

Subsequent History: 25 COLORADAN

USS Oregonian (ID-1323) was a cargo ship that served in the United States Navy from 1918 to 1919.

Oregonian was built by the Delaware River Iron Shipbuilding and Engine Works in Chester, Pennsylvania and launched in 1901. At the time of her acquisition by the United States Government on 15 August 1918 she was operated by the American-Hawaiian Steamship Company.

Oregonian was assigned Id. No. 1323 and commissioned into the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS) on 17 August 1918 at Norfolk, Virginia, Lieutenant Commander C. E. A. Anderson, USNRF, in command. After refitting and arming, she took on general cargo, joined a convoy out of Norfolk on 22 August 1918, and arrived at Brest, France, on 11 September 1918. Steaming on to St. Nazaire, France, she discharged her cargo and sailed from Le Verdon-sur-Mer, France, in convoy on 30 September 1918, arriving at New York City on 16 October 1918.

Oregonian subsequently made two more Atlantic crossings. The first was to La Pallice, Bordeaux, and Le Verdon-sur-Mer, France, returning to New York on 13 December 1918, and the second to the Mediterranean in January 1919. Following delivery of her cargo at Trieste, she returned to New York, arriving on 26 March 1919.

Ordered demobilized and returned to her owners, she decommissioned on 15 April 1919 at Brooklyn, New York.

Disposal Data: BU Osaka 11.26 [Kishimoto Kisen KK]

MAINE – 1903 – IMO 0000000

Year: 1903 – Name: MAINE – Type: Cargo ship Launch – Date: 11.2.03 – Flag: USA – Date of completion: 7.03 – GRT: 7914 – Yard No: 38 – LPP: 150.0 – Country of build: USA – Beam: 17.8 – Builder: Maryland Steel Co – Location of yard: Sparrows Point – Number of screws/Mchy/Speed(kn): 2T-12

Subsequent History: 07 VIRGINIAN

Virginian was built in 1903 as the commercial cargo ship SS Maine at Sparrows Point, Maryland, by the Maryland Steel Company for the Atlantic Transportation Company. The American-Hawaiian Steamship Company of New York City purchased her in 1908 and renamed her SS Virginian. Her home port was New York City. The U.S. Navy acquired her early in 1919 for service as a troop transport, assigned her the naval registry Identification Number (Id. No.) 3920, and commissioned her on 1 February 1919 at Hoboken, New Jersey, as USS Virginian with Lieutenant Commander John S. Greene in command.

Soon after commissioning, Virginian shifted to Fletcher’s Dry Dock Company at Hoboken for repairs and conversion into a troop transport. She remained at Fletcher’s shipyard through the end of February 1919.

Assigned to the Cruiser and Transport Force, Virginian got underway on 11 March 1919 anchored in New York Harbor abreast the Statue of Liberty. She then moved to Pier 7, Bush Terminal, at Brooklyn, New York, where she took on board cargo — billet steel, oats, and potatoes — and provisions for her crew. Repairs and alterations necessary to complete her conversion into a troop ship continued apace until she backed clear of her berth at 17:13 hours on 21 March 1919, with orders to proceed independently to France.

Virginian dropped anchor off Charpentier Point, near St. Nazaire, France, on 3 April 1919, and shifted to St. Nazaire on 4 April 1919. She unloaded her cargo there for the next two days before she began embarking United States Army troops returning home after their World War I service in Europe for transport to the United States. Her passengers included 74 officers and 4,097 enlisted men, from units that ranged from the 362d Infantry Machine Gun Company to the 127th Convalescent Detachment. She got underway at 07:40 hours on 8 April 1919 to return to the United States.

Arriving at the north side of Army Dock Number 7, Hoboken, on the morning of 20 April 1919, Virginian discharged the troops before shifting to the Morse Dry Dock Company at Brooklyn for repairs to her propellers. She shifted back to the Army dock at Hoboken on 27 April 1919, then got underway for Europe on 30 April 1919 to pick up more returning “doughboys” for passage to the United States.

Virginian reached St. Nazaire on the afternoon of 11 May 1919, took on board 56 officers and 4,069 men, and departed on 13 May 1919 bound for Hampton Roads, Virginia. After a 12-day passage, she moored at the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway docks at Newport News, Virginia, on the afternoon of 25 May 1919 and had all of the troops disembarked within an hour.

After a brief period of upkeep and repairs at the Norfolk Navy Yard at Portsmouth, Virginia, Virginian again departed for France on 1 June 1919. She returned to Hampton Roads carrying returning American servicemen on 25 June 1919.

Virginian departed Hampton Roads on her fourth voyage to pick up troops in France on 1 July 1919. On 3 August 1919, she completed this voyage, arriving at Hoboken. She had discharged the last troops by 09:45 hours on 4 August 1919.

Virginian then began her conversion back into a cargo ship and other preparations for demobilization. After the last troops had disembarked, shipyard workmen and the ship’s crew bent to the task of taking down troop fittings, performing routine maintenance tasks, discharging ballasts, cleaning holds, and inventorying equipment. At 16:00 hours on 19 August 1919, she was decommissioned and formally turned over to a representative of the American-Hawaiian Steamship Company, Captain John S. Greene, who as Lieutenant Commander Green had served as USS Virginian’s first commanding officer.

The ship then resumed her mercantile service as cargo ship SS Virginian with the American-Hawaiian Shipping Company. She served that firm, home-ported at New York City, until 1947, when she was transferred to the United States Maritime Commission and laid up. She was sold for scrapping in April 1948.

She steamed out of the Baltimore area in June 1945 in route to Italy as one of the first vessels to assist in Heifers for Relief, the precursor to Heifer International. She was crossing the Atalantic on her return to Baltimore when she learned of the surrender of the Japanese in WWII.

Disposal Data: BU Philadelphia 3q.48 [Northern Metals Co]

November 20th, 2011  in Ports, Harbours & Waterways 2 Comments »